Have you ever wondered if you have an optimized LinkedIn profile? What experience do you need to excel in your industry? How you can differentiate yourself as high-performing talent?
An amazing way to answer all of these questions is to do your research on successful leaders in your industry. These are the senior influencers and C-level executives who are exactly where you want to be later in your career. Their LinkedIn profiles can give you awesome insights into what you can do to achieve their level of success!
Here’s how to do it:
1. Navigate to the ‘Interests’ drop-down menu located below the search bar.
2. Click on ‘Education’.
3. Search for universities you’re interested in.
4. Click ‘Follow’
4. Click on the ‘Notables’ tab/ Or Click on the ‘Students & Alumni’ tab
Some things you could look for:
- What is the tone of their LinkedIn profile? Is it in third or first person?
- What type of experience do they have that you can emulate?
- What is their education level?
- What skills do they have?
- Do you have any mutual connections that can introduce you to them?
All of these will help you find out how you can brush up your LinkedIn profile, and, more importantly, what career moves you may want to consider making in order to differentiate yourself. Reading up on the paths that successful people took can be so helpful in discovering what’s right for you!
If you find a senior professional who is exactly where you want to be, don’t hesitate to send them a personalized invitation to connect! This way, you may be able to coordinate a 15-minute informational interview where you can ask them all your questions about how they became what they are today. Start by sending a brief message outlining why you admire their experience – it’s hard for people not to be appreciative when others recognize their achievements, and a quick message like that could be the start of a great new relationship!