[fullwidth background_color=”” background_image=”” background_parallax=”none” enable_mobile=”no” parallax_speed=”0.3″ background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” video_url=”” video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_webm=”” video_mp4=”” video_ogv=”” video_preview_image=”” overlay_color=”” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ video_mute=”yes” video_loop=”yes” fade=”no” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” padding_top=”20″ padding_bottom=”20″ padding_left=”5%” padding_right=”5%” hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” menu_anchor=”” class=”” id=””][one_full last=”yes” spacing=”yes” center_content=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” padding=”” margin_top=”40″ margin_bottom=”40″ animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ class=”programs” id=””][fusion_text][fusion_text]
DIANA’S RESUME TIPS
Thank you for signing up for the Resume Review session. Here are some of my key tips, samples and resources to support you in taking your resume to the next level!
HOW TO TRANSFORM YOUR RESUME:
Think like a Recruiter.
Think like a Marketer.
Instead of just asking “What did I do in each role?”
- What did I do well?
- What did I do differently?
- What problems did I solve?
- What am I proud of?
- What impact did I make?
- What were the tangible results?
- What was I recognized for?
R.A.R.E. RESUME GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
R – RELEVANT
- Show that you’re a good match with relevant content, keywords & keyphrases
- Highlight your transferable skills & experience
- Use strong & relevant action verbs
- Avoid jargon
A – ACCOMPLISHMENTS-ORIENTED
- Highlight your core accomplishments, awards, promotions & performance
- Demonstrate you’re a high performer with high potential
- Think of times you took initiative & thrived
- Avoid the fluff, give the facts
R – RESULTS-FOCUSED
- Quantify to qualify with tangible results – Showcase the value you created for the employer
- Think of the purpose & objectives of your work
- Think of KPIs/ metrics you influenced
E – EASY-TO-SCREEN
- Make it scannable & look good
- Sufficient white space, min 3/4” each side
- Readable fonts, min font size of 10
- Max 5 bullets per role
Video Training for the R.A.R.E. Resume Principles
WHAT RECRUITERS LOOK FOR:
L – LEADERSHIP
- Have you taken the initiative to make things happen?
- Have you influenced & empowered others?
E – EXPERIENCE, EXPERTISE, EDUCATION, EXTRACURRICULAR
- Do you have relevant experience & unique expertise?
- Have you invested in your education/ professional development?
- Have you made an impact through volunteering?
A – ACHIEVEMENTS, AWARDS, ABOVE AND BEYOND
- What’s your track record of success?
- Have you succeeded in what you did?
- Have you exceeded expectations?
P – PERFORMANCE, PROMOTIONS, PROGRESSION, POTENTIAL
- What impact did you make?
- Have you been promoted multiple times?
- Have you taken on greater responsibilities?
- Are you recognized as a high performer with high potential?
HOW TO MAKE YOUR RESUME STAND OUT:
WHAT NOT TO INCLUDE:
- Don’t only include your responsibilities
- Don’t use a passive tone (i.e. Responsible for…)
- Don’t forget to tailor your resume to the target role, employer or industry
- Don’t include unnecessary information
- Objective statement, a picture, your date of birth, or a ‘references available upon request’ line
- Avoid sending a resume with an unprofessional or outdated document title
- Never have grammar or spelling mistakes in your resume
- Don’t use unprofessional or outdated email (i.e. Hotmail/ yahoo)
HOW TO ADDRESS GAPS:
- Add a one-liner Career Note to highlight reason for the gap, what you did during that time and timing
- Career Note: Returned to Toronto and took a career break to serve as a caregiver to sister. Successfully passed RIBO Level 1 (Dec 2016) and now pursuing career transition into insurance industry.
- Career Note: Raised family full-time from 1994 to 2005 and worked as an Office Assistant at Elboya Elementary/Junior High School from 2005 to 2008
- Career Note: Returned to school and completed Diploma in Graphic Design from Humber College. Served as Assistant Director of Admissions at Everest College—balanced sales and admissions targets with recommending educational program options well-suited to student needs and career paths (2009 – 2010)
- Career Note Engaging in professional development; studied for AWS and Blockchain certifications (2017 – 2018)
HOW TO ADDRESS EXPERIENCE FROM LONG TIME AGO:
- If your experience was over 15 or 20 years ago and not as significant or relevant, suggest to have a one-liner of summary of the job title and company name
- No need to include the years to avoid people figuring out your age
- Early Career: Program Coordination Intern at Canadian Film Institute
- Early Career: Senior Accountant and Manager, Tax at Ernst & Young
- Early Career: Client Services Representative Bank of Montreal, Client Services Representative AIM Trimark, and e-Business Support Analyst AIM Trimark
TYPE OF METRICS TO HIGHLIGHT:
When deciding which metrics to include, it’s important to think about the key performance indicators (KPIs) for your role. There are 4 types of metrics to consider:
- Growth: What did you add to the company?
- Reduction: What did you help the company save?
- Impact: How many people did your work help?
- Frequency: How often did you complete tasks?
Here are some metrics to consider by functional area:
Sales & Business Development:
- Verticals/ industries supported
- New clients acquired
- Sales figures
- Deals closed/ partnerships secured
- Year-over-year quota achievements
- Project sizes
- Size of networks
- Project sizes
- Numbers of stakeholders
- Implementation success rate
- Fundraising $
- Board Stats
- Grant Writing
- Market share
- Budget size
- Team size
- Team development
- Cost savings
- Breadth of operations/locations
SAMPLE PERSONAL BRANDING VALUE PROP STATEMENT/ ABOUT SUMMARY:
- Solutions-driven and analytical self-starter with a passion for unleashing the power of data to reveal insights and drive key business decisions aligned with organizational objectives. Enterprise-focused lateral thinker, skilled in balancing details with big-picture concepts. Client- and team-centric professional renowned for collaborative approach and dedication to stakeholder engagement. Warm and gregarious communicator with the innate ability to build instantaneous rapport with others and cultivate lasting relationships.
- Innovative, ambitious, and passionate go-getter with proven success driving high-impact promotional campaigns that elevate and enhance some of Canada’s most prominent brands. Client-focused professional renowned for creativity, vision, and unwavering dedication to seeing projects through from start to finish. Natural and approachable communicator with the innate ability to build instantaneous rapport with others and cultivate lasting relationships.
- Driven and results-focused Business Systems Analyst. Proven success translating business needs into technical direction that ignites the creation of transformative solutions. Highly-technical, yet business-savvy professional, renowned for establishing strategies that automate and continuously improve complex processes and procedures. Considerate and approachable project manager, with the innate ability to engage with stakeholders at every level. Empowering and encouraging leader, skilled in mobilizing diverse, cross-functional teams.
- Proactive and solutions-focused Continuous Improvement Professional, Six Sigma Black Belt, and Lean practitioner with 15+ years’ experience and a proven track record skillfully developing and implementing improvement programs in complex, highly-regulated environments. Methodical and analytical critical thinker adept at identifying opportunities for enhancing efficiency, quality, and delivery, and for garnering significant cost-savings. Nurturing and committed leader and coach renowned for delivering effective Green Belt training programs and curriculum. Natural communicator adept at engaging with stakeholders at all levels.
- Customer-centric senior data analytics leader with proven success igniting growth by striking an optimal balance between business and customer needs. Influential professional, driven to ensure the customer’s voice is heard enterprise-wide, and honoured with every touchpoint and product. Relentlessly curious researcher, renowned for asking the right questions to deliver sound, data-driven strategic recommendations. Empowering leader, skilled in mobilizing cross-functional teams and cultivating a customer-first culture.
- Client-centric Product Manager with proven success conceptualizing and creating transformational solutions to enable customers’ mission-critical business functions and facilitate their growth. Schulich MBA candidate who is equal parts technical subject-matter expert and business strategist, skilled in engaging with diverse, multi-disciplinary stakeholders at all levels. Influential connector and collaborator, known for bringing together and mobilizing talented teams to continuously delight customers and deliver results.
- Growth-focused digital and technology executive known for transforming matrix enterprises and powering solutions that enable billions of dollars in revenue. Entrepreneurial product innovator with a sharp eye for identifying new opportunities to ignite explosive yet sustainable growth. Service-centric with an unrivaled commitment to the customer and an obsession with delivering world-class products and experiences. Inspiring and influential leader, dedicated to cultivating cultures rooted in collaboration and co-creation in order to mobilize a national workforce overseeing mission-critical infrastructure.
- Strategic and driven Executive Financial Services Leader with proven success transforming organizations, steering organizational vision, and igniting growth. Forward-thinking and client-centric visionary adept at streamlining business operations to enhance customer engagement and service. Collaborative and motivating leader and coach known for identifying and developing top talent, imparting vision, executing strategies and providing clear and consistent guidance and reporting. Dynamic and engaging communicator adept at building relationships with staff, partners, and clients at all levels.
- Results-driven and innovative Marketing and Communications Executive with 15+ years’ experience of proven success translating corporate goals and objectives into powerful internal and external communications messaging. Forward-thinking change agent proficient at driving and integrating communications strategies with marketing approach and brand reputation. Thoughtful and compassionate leader, renowned for a pragmatic approach and “leading from behind,” imparting organizational vision and strategic objectives, serving as a mentor to teams, and empowering staff in their pursuit of excellence. Esteemed and trusted advisor often turned to by the C-Suite for expertise and high-impact approach to communicating the organization’s strategic direction.
TEMPLATE FOR ABOUT SUMMARY
- QUALITY 1 and QUALITY 2 YOUR PROFESSION professional/ leader with proven success VALUE 1, VALUE 2, VALUE 3. STRENGTH 1 and STRENGTH 2 adept at BENEFIT 1 and BENEFIT 2 to OBJECTIVE. SOFT SKILL 1 and SOFT SKILL 2 leader known for VALUE 4, VALUE 5, VALUE 6
- QUALITY 1 and QUALITY 2 YOUR PROFESSION professional with a passion for VALUE 1 and VALUE 2. STRENGTH 1, skilled in BENEFIT 1 and BENEFIT 2. STRENGTH 1, skilled in BENEFIT 1 and BENEFIT 2
- QUALITY 1 and QUALITY 2 YOUR PROFESSION executive known for VALUE 1 and VALUE 2 that OBJECTIVE. STRENGTH 1 with a sharp eye for BENEFIT 1 and BENEFIT 2 that OBJECTIVE. SOFT SKILL 1 and SOFT SKILL 2 leader, dedicated to TEAM OBJECTIVE 1 AND TEAM OBJECTIVE 2
SAMPLE HIGHLIGHTS/ IMPACT STATEMENTS:
- Proposed operational modifications to spearhead cost savings. Initiatives were implemented and resulted in annual savings of over $1.5 million.
- Directed a demand planning improvement project to drive better inventory management; collaborated with department to propose solutions that contributed $4M+ in savings.
- Optimized 100+ processes such as call centre agent procedures—resulted in a $5M cost savings
- Performed advanced analytics to support the execution of the HR transformation program, which generated $100M+ in future annual cost savings
- Developed the integrated 3-year roadmap for consumer products and services across all lines of business
- Promoted to leadership role within 11 months (average promotion path: 2 years); managed 25-30 direct reports.
- Scaled team from a lean start-up of 20 staff to 400 members—hired 250 in just over 2 years
- Built and led a team of 8, managing 10 projects a year, worth $100M+ each, which served as an internal think tank and advocated for the customer experience across the enterprise
- Achieved and maintained a 90% employee engagement rate during period of high growth and change
- Coordinated the strategic planning for each brand within the portfolio while nurturing client relationships
- Closed a $650K USD, 1,500+ license migration deal for a large insurance client in Ontario—received the Rising Star Award to recognize contribution and supporting client with increasing customer base 29%
- Generated $1.5M USD in revenue each quarter, with deal sizes ranging from $250K to $500K—one of the company’s top performers
- How to tell your story of resiliency during a global pandemic (samples of resume impact statements and guiding questions)
- JobHero: Resume Builder and Samples (tons of great examples of value statements)
Meet Diana YK Chan!
Diana YK Chan is your Career Coach Champion and job search success secret weapon. JobScan named her one of the “Top 10 Job Search Experts to Follow on LinkedIn (2019 & 2020).”
Diana helps you gain career clarity, confidence and a competitive edge. She founded My Marketability in 2011, where she helps ambitious professionals differentiate as top talent and land amazing job opportunities at top companies like Apple, Amazon, BCG, Credit Suisse, Deloitte, EY, Google, PwC, RBC etc.
She’s served hundreds of new grads to C-level clients globally, representing a diverse range of industries and professions.
Diana is an expert at distinguishing people’s unique brand value, mastering their messages and networking with confidence.
With 15 years of diverse experience, Diana worked at Schulich in career advising, Google and Ivey in recruiting, Accenture in management consulting, and TELUS in Marketing, Operations, Training.
She has reviewed 20K+ resumes, done thousands of interviews, and knows what it takes to brand yourself as a sought-after professional, make meaningful connections, and open new doors to exciting opportunities.
Connect with her on LinkedIn.[/fusion_text]