1) What was your situation prior to reaching out to My Marketability? What were your challenges or struggles?
Several months after graduating with my MBA from a top school, I had a lot of trouble securing interviews and job offers. As someone who was attempting to make both an industry and functional career switch (capital markets finance to CPG marketing), I struggled with navigating through the job search process. I was networking, going on coffee chats, sending out job applications, seemingly doing ‘all the right things’ but had no luck at all.
2) Why did you hire My Marketability? What were your desired results?
I realized that as someone making a big career switch into an industry/field that I had no experience in, I needed to understand what my ‘blind spots’ were in my job search and get professional guidance to bring clarity to them. My job search strategy hadn’t been working thus far, and I was having a hard time making inroads with my networking, so I started this coaching program with these primary goals in mind: redirecting my career strategy, polishing my personal brand, and building new connections through networking introductions.
3) What was your experience working with your Coach? What did you like best?
Having the chance to work with both Inthida and Diana was a real pleasure – I had a wonderful experience! Inthida’s warm, lively personality made our in-person sessions both educational and a lot of fun. She’s a very attentive listener and made me feel very comfortable during our open and frank discussions – I learned a lot from her!
Diana’s genuine commitment to my success was very evident in her constant communication and follow-ups. While her vast knowledge and experience in ‘all-things-recruiting’ is clearly top notch, I think it’s her energy, enthusiasm and genuine concern for her clients’ success that are her real ‘USPs’. Like Inthida, her warm personality made our conversations so easy.
4) How did coaching help you? What did you gain?
I received a job offer! I successfully achieved my desired post-MBA functional and industry career switch. My new role: Assistant Marketing Manager (ABM) at a CPG company.
1. Personal branding – I got a better idea of what employers in my target industries within marketing were looking for, and how to leverage my existing skill set and experiences to fit their needs. I learned to reframe my branding in terms of ‘how I can solve their pain points’, making it clear to the hiring manager (through my elevator pitch, resume, Linkedin profile, coffee chats, interviews, etc.) how my skills are relevant and transferable, using language that they can understand. I also learned how to re-categorize my strongest and most relevant skills and experiences into 3 main ‘buckets’ as my unique selling points, which was the catalyst for all my personal branding, networking and interviewing.
2. Interviewing – I learned a lot about how to prepare for an interview, not only in terms of polishing and structuring my answers, but also my presence, tone, and ‘overall vibe’. Diana gave me great feedback and reassurance that I was on the right track, and that I was also articulating my thoughts well (I had no way to gauge before!). Thus, getting an objective opinion from someone who’s done tons of interviews was a big confidence boost. Also, I learned intangibles like remembering to stay in the moment during interviews (which I generally struggle with), projecting a personality style to match the employer’s culture to show ‘fit’ (i.e. just being myself), anxiety-reduction techniques, positive affirmations, etc. In hindsight, I think a lot of my past interview blockages were mental, but my interview prep with Diana definitely helped boost my confidence, which in turn lessened my anxiety levels. I also learned a lot about things to consider with job onboarding, salary negotiation, and career planning for the future!
5) Would you recommend My Marketability’s services?